Saturday, September 19, 2020

Voting 2020



I've always loved the Norman Rockwell aspect of voting--gathering with my neighbors to cast our ballots. Even in recent years when I've taken advantage of early voting, it still had a nice feel to it--chatting with the poll workers and a few other voters. putting on the little I VOTED sticker, and basking in the glow of civic virtue.


But in this year of the pandemic, with doubts about postal delivery and the fate of our democracy on the ballot, I opted for hand-delivered absentee voting. Yesterday I drove to the local Board of Elections, put on my mask, and handed over John's and my sealed ballots to a nice lady wearing a mask. I had to fill out two identical forms, stating that it was I delivering the ballots. 


I was the only voter there but they are well prepared for a crowd with social distancing marks along the entrance and hand sanitizer on the desk where you fill out the forms. There are pens-- and you keep yours. A little prize, like when the dentist gives you a toothbrush.


I'm glad this option is in place. And I hope that someday we can return to the Norman Rockwell kind of voting--with proper precautions against voting machine hacking and big mask-less smiles for our neighbors.

Until then, I'll enjoy my new pen.


Note: I already had this post scheduled when I learned of the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. May her memory be a blessing... and an inspiration.




 

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Terrible news about RBG.

Barbara Rogers said...

I wonder how my early voting will be. I usually would see several people I knew when I went. My town isn't all that small, but somehow I've gotten to know a lot of the people here. I am somewhat hopeful that our votes will count...will make the efforts of everyone who wants the big change of government to happen. So sad to lose RGB. Her voice and stamina are a model for us all. May I share that energy, and help others who will continue to fight for true American Justice, especially for women's rights.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Mine will be hand delivered too! Wishing you well!