Sunday, September 27, 2020

Grateful for Small Pleasures


The zinnias continue to dazzle and delight. But my big excitement was discovering beans on the vines that the deer had worked over quite thoroughly a month ago. I'd gone to the garden to see if a tomato or two might still be there (yes, there were two. And a stunted yellow bell pepper and some beets--into the salad they go.) And a very good mess of beans. I will appreciate them all the more for being unexpected.


All things considered, the garden's done fairly well. We still have a LOT of butternut squash to harvest and one or two watermelons. And then I think we'll put it to bed, rather than attempt any late season starts. Between Josie and edits for my class plus two potential novel edits in the offing, I'm not going to stress about winter greens. 


 

3 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes to the Zinnias! And lovely pot of beans! Sure you can skip winter garden for now... I am groaning with the idea of brining plants inside...my big fall adventure. Of course I end up bringing lots of spiders and other bugs too! Enjoy life.

Anvilcloud said...

The third photo is really nice.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Zinnias are strong and beautiful! Always giving their all! Have a wonderful day!