Monday, September 28, 2020

Enola Holmes


This Netflix offering was good fun. It's undoubtedly aimed at a teen age audience but since I spend about a third of my waking time playing with a three year old, teen age feels like a step up. Plus you gotta love a story where the heroine saves the handsome romantic interest.

I'm not a Holmes purist. I enjoy the original stories, Basil Rathbone, Jeremy Brett, and Benedict Cumberbatch. I love the Laurie R. King series that gives Sherlock a much younger partner/wife. I was delighted with Neil Gaiman's story that had Sherlock in China, pursuing longevity. (It seems to have worked.)

I can't wait to introduce an older Josie to Enola. Just recently Josie has been pretending to solve mysteries--which involves putting on a (pretend) mask and creeping around bent over looking for clues. Perhaps we could skip Nancy Drew and go straight to Enola.

There's a YA series the movie is based on--I'll have to look into this. Have any of you read these?


Hav

 

3 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I was drawn immediately to watch this...also having enjoyed Kind's books several times. And of course many episodes made into movies of the original stories. I loved Enola, and her mother, and her brothers! What a fun "caper" with the Marquise! The stunts weren't as crazy as some of the latest movies have had, pushing the envelope of possibilities. And there were some gaps of reality. How did she get out of the head-mistress' study and meet Marquise at the auto, anyway? They just suddenly were there! Yes, a big two thumbs up for Enola.

Junk Journal Penpals said...

I think you are living your life again through Josie :). How lovely to be able to see life anew through her eyes. No I haven’t discovered these stories yet. I must see what my grand-daughter Ruby is into these days ....

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, absolutely, Stella! It's great fun to remember being that age.