Wednesday, May 19, 2021

What Is Normal Anyway?


Sneaking back into life. I'm catching up with long deferred routine maintenance (hair cut twice, teeth cleaned, yearly general checkup, x-rays of my failing right knee, and next on the agenda, an eye exam. On a positive note, I've aged out of the routine colonoscopy.)

But my longtime ophthalmologist has retired. How dare he! I should have expected this--my longtime dentist retired several years ago, my long time GP passed away (a sad loss for the community and all her patients.)

As I venture farther afield, I'm reminded that life is going on: with or without me; things are changing, many of my old landmarks are disappearing, and once familiar scenes are utterly and uncomfortably different.

And I remind myself that I'm lucky to still be here and capable of noticing the changes, many of which are positive--even if I miss the way things were. 

Except the colonoscopy. I don't miss that.



 

5 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

I'm with you all the way. Also decided that, as well as the personal maintenance, the house needs some TLC too. Last year was cheap... this year, not so much!

Anvilcloud said...

To miss a colonoscopy would be asinine.

Barbara Rogers said...

Groaning at AC's comment! Yesterday I had a clean bill of health from my Doc. His office had a small fire last month, so has new floors everywhere...but I met him in his Old Fort office rather than Black Mountain. It's a neat old office with lots of history. But living walking distance to his BM office is still my preference.

Thérèse said...

Same thing for both my half and I. Check ups and a long wait for the appointments, six months for the dermatologist for example... same with the dentist... but as you say we are alive and happy.

Marcia said...

In moving we faced getting all new doctors and dentists. It was quite a chore, but we started even before we physically moved which was good because of delays with records being sent on.