Thursday, March 17, 2022

Dawning Hope?


 In this world and these times when so much seems hopeless, the magazines at the supermarket checkout line offer Incredible Optimism for Personal Betterment.

Lose weight! 40 pounds in 3o days! Nine waist inches in 21 days! Say goodbye to stress and tiredness! Ditto ringing ears, heartburn, and joint pain!


Cut diabetes risk in half!  Cure your worry! Eat for pennies! Improve your luck! And your hearing! Fix your hormones . . .

Heaven knows I'd benefit from all of these. Yet such is my cynicism that I somehow managed not to purchase either magazine.

Still, 4o pounds in 30 days . . . Hmmm . . .


4 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Well, I think you are wise not to buy these magazines. However, I'm happy to say a cousin's daughter I feel close to is actually on a program where she has lost 30 pounds and quite a few inches in 3 & 1/2 weeks. I'm so happy for her, because she was so obese it was a health hazard. From all indications, she is going to stick with the program.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've never purchased one of those magazines...as my waist-line will attest. Some friends have become Keto diet followers, and they seem pleased with it, until they binge all the things they aren't supposed to have. Making dietary choices may be some of our only choices in life...but having hope certainly is one that we can use.

JJM said...

Well, following a dime-a-day diet just might contribute to that promised weight loss and slender waist. Not sure it's worth the effort, though. A dime a day would play havoc with my chocolate budget, and a life without chocolate just ain't worth livin'. :-D

Anvilcloud said...

I guess people must still buy them.