Monday, March 21, 2022

A Sweet Memory

                                                                                                 


On Saturday a friend brought me this little apron. She had been helping with cleaning out the house where her neighbors Grace and Paul had lived for many years, (the house in fact, that Grace was born in,) and my friend hated to see this sweet little bit of Grace's life (tiny rick rack and fabric from, I think, the Forties) sent off to the thrift store. Knowing how I too loved Grace, she brought it to me.

Grace died in'08 and her husband Paul went not long after. Their house has sat empty for years, but now it has sold, and several good neighbors took on the Herculean task of clearing out the accumulation of stuff to make things easier for the new owners. 

Grace was such a loving soul -- she was one of the models for Miss Birdie. I still miss her--and am so happy to have this sweet memory. I'll likely hang it in the pantry, next to the feed sack towel I saved from my grandmother's kitchen.

Talismans . . .


Go HERE to see other posts about Paul and Grace.

                                                                                 

2 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh rick-rack! I wonder if they still sell it? What a strange and wonderful way to decorate things!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

What a sweet souvenir of your friend. Something as ordinary as an apron can conjure up a whole life.