Friday, January 15, 2021

First Shot!


Madison County's Health Department is handling vaccines in an admirable fashion. When we saw on their Facebook page that they were taking appointments for those over 75, I called at once and was given a time slot. A later call collected our insurance and health info. So yesterday, all we had to do was show up.  There was no waiting. We stayed in the car, masks on, while the charming provider verified our names. Then we signed a paper, bared our arms, and got the shots--all without leaving the car.

We had to wait fifteen minutes to be sure there were no immediate adverse reactions. There weren't--except from our car which refused to start--dead battery.

No worries! The charming provider went and got her car, pulled it in next to us, and she and John hooked up the jumper cables. Presto! We were on the road again.

Now that's what I call a full service health department.
 

9 comments:

KarenB said...

Wonderful! North Carolina does seem to be doing well with the vaccines. I'm further down the list so will have to wait for a couple of months, probably, but I've never been so excited to get a shot.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good to hear. Not about the battery of course, but glad that they could give you a jump. I've yet to make my appointment. Feeling more like isolating these days...though every week or so I'm getting a dinner to-go, and groceries. OK, I'm wishing to get the one shot kind, rather than the 2 doses...but I may go ahead whenever ...soon.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Congratulations! My appt is in February. . .so glad to have it!!! Have a grand weekend!

dannie said...

As a retired nurse, I continue to admire the Madison County Health Department for all its efforts.

jennyfreckles said...

I'm happy for you. Our local programme seems to be going well too, though I'm quite a way down in the queue, being just under 70.

Anvilcloud said...

I think you folk are getting the vaccine out better than we are. Now Pfizer has advised that there will be a bit of a delay. There are some here, but I guess a few shipments will be a little behind or not complete or some such.

Nancy Emanuel said...

While I do complain a fair share about our fine county of Madison, they are coming through for us in our time of need, and that's what counts most! I'm only 60, so we'll see when my turn comes around!

katy gilmore said...

I'm glad for you vicki! Way behind out here in the West!

Vagabonde said...

I could not believe reading about your easy experience. Here in Nashville when the 75+ group was allowed about 10 days ago I filled a form online, then last week I filled another one since I had received no answer. Yesterday I tried to call their number several times and finally after being on hold for 45 minutes was told they did not have enough vaccines but would place me on a waiting list for whenever…. The people who did get a vaccine had to wait up to 8 hours in line. I am not sure if I should drive to GA to see if it’s better, so I am kind of stuck waiting. You certainly were fortunate.