I spent much of yesterday getting set up to participate in an upcoming podcast on historical fiction from my publisher. This entailed cleaning up my workroom--the quietest and most isolated place in the house-- and figuring out how to use an external mike so as to be ready for a brief sound test at 3.
Cleaning up, I'm embarassed to say, included putting away Christmas wrapping paper, as well as getting piles of fabric sorted back into their proper boxes and disposing of lots of extraneous stuff.
But it got done and I draped some blankets and quilts around to cover hard surfaces and provide better sound quality. Then I noodled about with the mic till I found out how it worked.
When it was time for the sound test, I was set. The platform (Zencastr) was really simple and it was fun to hear voices of folks I've only 'met' via email. Bart, who will partner with me on the podcast (his forthcoming book is set in Reconstruction-era Alabama) has a lovely rich accent that makes me remember the Alabama kin of my youth.
And the sound test went well--now to do the actual podcast. Maybe next week. I'll let you all know and provide a link when it's online.