Wednesday, April 12, 2023

"We Have No Art . . ."


 When a friend on Facebook nominated me for an art challenge, my first response was that I'm no artist. And I remembered a Balinese saying I once read: "We have no art; we do everything the best we can." 

I've always loved that thought and would love to see more folks doing the best they can rather than leaving all the fun to the "real artists." So I post my amateurish* efforts on my blog and on Facebook, hoping others will find joy in creating--whether it be painting, photography, clay, woodworking, fiber arts, or any of a number of creative endeavors.

The challenge was to post a piece each day for ten days and on each day to nominate another to share their work. I nominated two--then quickly realized how very many FB friends I had whose work is worth looking at. Many already share their work. Several work in more than one medium. Some are professional artists, others are amateurs.* And I've undoubtedly inadvertently left some out. But here's the list:


Shawn Miles Bilodeau -- photo manipulation

Jill Harman Smith-- painting, sculpture

Katy Gilmore -- watercolor

Pepper Cory- quilting

Andree Freeman -- photography

Merisi - photography

Yolanda Fundadora-- graphic art

Suzanne DesLauriers-- watercolor and more

Barbara Weitbrecht-- AI manipulation

Jennifer Woodruff --quilting, dyeing, 

Mary Maupin--painting, quilting

John Rayner-- photography

Jean Barden--alcohol ink and more

Barbara Rogers--pottery and sculpture

Rich Burnett Baker--narrative photography

Ida Twining--quilting

Sandra Parshall - photography 

*Amateur--the word amateur comes from the Latin for lover and originally meant one who does a thing for the love of it, rather than for pay. Nowadays it tends to mean one who does a thing clumsily (and without pay.) I am an amateur in all three senses. And that's okay--I'm doing the best I can--and loving it.

                                                    


                                                 


 




6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I like your art. It speaks of joy.
I must come close to meeting that challenge without even thinking about it, often with multiple photos, so I am in the spirit of the challenge as it were.

Barbara Rogers said...

Since I once sold my work, I considered myself an artist at that time. Then stopped, so now the tax people consider me a hobbyist. I do salute all who are creative, including making a home look and feel welcome...the interior designers among us!

Sandra Parshall said...

My passion was photography, but now I can't get out and about to use my camera. So I take photos of the cats at home and try to be happy with that. I love all of your drawings and paintings, and the way you've turned Josie on to making art.

Vicki Lane said...

Adding you to the list--your cat photos are quite artistic.

jennyfreckles said...

Thank you! And oh yes, we do it just for the love of it. I'm always delighted when others find pleasure in my photos, as I'm sure you are. But I'd take them/make them even if no-one else cared a hoot. It's fun and therapeutic - and you meet the nicest people through having a hobby.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

You are talented in so many ways! "Bunnies in the Cabbage Patch" my title for the painting. Thank you for sharing! Cathy