Saturday, March 25, 2023

The Bailey Report

 


Bailey is doing very well. She is getting along with Bob and Jenny and Otter. She is learning about riding in the truck. She has to be put in but as the ride progresses, she seems to enjoy it. She and John take walks with her off the leash and she knows now that the itchen is where good things happen.


She needed a bath VERY badly but we wanted her to settle in a bit before doing something that might be traumatic. (I doubt she'd ever had a bath.) But Thursday was warm and John gave her a bath on the front porch--lots of warm water and a soothing, anti-itch shampoo.


She did surprisingly well, thank goodness. The next step (probably next week) is to get her to the vet for shots and mange treatment meds. Eventually she'll be spayed, but we'll keep her up till then. 


We were concerned that her coat was dull and dry, and John got some fish oil to add to her diet. Then I spent an hour brushing her; an amazing amount of dead hair came off and underneath it some nice shiny hair.


So, real progress. She's a lovely dog and has fit in well--a nice addition to the family.

On a sad note, my older son and his wife had to say goodbye to their beloved Tally a few days ago. Never easy. But I suspect there's another lucky dog in their future.


5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I think she’s beginning to live the good life.

jennyfreckles said...

Glad she's doing well. It looks like she is becoming much more trusting. She's a lucky dog to end up spending life as part of your family. I can see she'll be well loved. (And I'm smiling because I actually care about a dog I'll never meet, who lives an ocean away! The joy of blogging.)

Barbara Rogers said...

What a nice addition to your family. Smart dog!

Sandra Parshall said...

I'm glad Jenny has accepted her. I was wondering how that very spoiled baby of the family would react to a newcomer.
I'm sorry to hear about your grand dog Tally.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Our Duke was an abused puppy and when we got him he was scared to death of riding in our pickup. On trips we would take him and he was stand in the backseat the entire trip...eventually got used to it but it was really hard for him. He is missed. Thank you for this post! Cathy