Thursday, March 9, 2023

Another Spring Cleaning

 


Almost Spring and predictably my thoughts turn to Spring cleaning, organizing, and de-accessioning. Back in the fall I took many books to the library book sale but I still have two large bookshelves to go through. 



                                                     My workroom is my focus at the moment. It's become the repository for all kinds of detritus--like all the gift bags, and ribbons of the ages--really nice ribbons, some of which have gone through various seasonal cycles already. And the Amazon gift bags--of which there are an embarrassing many--good sturdy bags that ought to be useful for something other than gifts. I have a BIG bag of them and am going to see if our local thrift store could use them.   

On to the bookshelves. Now that I'm no longer teaching, I'm sending many books on writing to the library. And putting years of class handouts into the recycling bin. I had what I believe were some excellent lessons (and they are still on my computer,) but as I tossed them into our paper recycling bag, I felt a bit like Prospero, destroying his books of magic.

But, I've got to say, it felt good. That part of my life is done, and I have the freedom to piddle about with watercolors or read or sit outside in the sun and watch the wind stirring the daffodils.

                         

                                                                                    


                                                                                     

6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Happy spring decluttering to you. Enjoy the process and result.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Every time I start, I talk myself out of it! I always find something else to do! I guess I'd best get to it, too! Thanx! Cathy

KarenB said...

Food pantries can often use bags for their clients. Small bags can be part of a “party bag” which would include cake mix and other things for a birthday party; big bags can be grocery bags.

Barbara Rogers said...

I like the idea of freedom to do what you wish. That's the fantasy of retirement.

Sandra Parshall said...

I don't know why more writers don't retire and enjoy their later years. I know writers well into their seventies who are still chasing the dream of having a NY Times bestseller. They spend every second working, working, working.

jennyfreckles said...

I found it hard to get rid of all my work papers but then there was a sense of relief when I had done so. I'm not bad at decluttering per se but then I never get around to taking things to the charity shop, so it just sits there in bags!