Monday, February 27, 2023

What Do You Read? Why Do You Read?

                                                                         


 After my post last week about the book Read Dangerously--an invitation to read subject matter that may make you uncomfortable, even as it expands your awareness of society-- I kept thinking about this topic. 

Reading dangerously is certainly a good thing--but it's not the only thing. There's comfort reading--books that will make you feel good. In my case it's pretty much always a book I've read before and can trust not to give me any unpleasant surprises. In fact, the day after I finished Read Dangerously, I took Josie to the library and while we were perusing the books, I found myself taking down Little Women and diving into that sweet, moral world. It doesn't hurt that this is a book my grandmother read to me when I had measles and wasn't allowed to read. I've read and re-read till my copy (previously my grandmother's) has fallen apart. So (spoiler alert) Beth's death won't be an unpleasant surprise.

Other of my favorite comfort reads include P.G. Wodehouse, C.S. Lewis, Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, Madeline L'Engle, Elizabeth Goudge, and Rosamund Pilcher. When I'm feeling fragile and reluctant to immerse myself in reality, these do the trick.

I like to read to learn, as well--good historical fiction such a Mary Renault or James Michener or Edward Rutherfurd has taught me a lot. Sarah Vowell's non-fiction is equally enjoyable and instructive.                                                        

And there's reading for escape--for a cracking good story you can get lost in for a while. Thinking of John Grisham, Neil Gaiman, Tony Hillerman, Laurie R. King . . . just the tip of the iceberg. Those are some I re-read, but there are many, many others.

What's your reading fancy? And what categories have I missed?

                                                    


8 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

I definitely read for comfort - and yes, historical novels for interest and education. (Just finished 'Hamnet' by Maggie O'Farrell.) But I also like the quirky books that take me to 'new places'. 'The Phone Box at the edge of the World' (Laura Imai Messina) and 'Where the Crawdads Sing' (Delia Owens) have both really stuck in my mind.

Anvilcloud said...

I think this is one reason why I have always been drawn to series, starting with The Bobbsey Twins and The Hardy Boys and continuing to this day with various detective series. You pretty well know that the hero will win and life will go on.

Barbara Rogers said...

Ditto what you and other commenters have said. I love reading Terry Pratchett, Louise Penny, and you! Even though I know the outcome, the turn of a phrase seems to always strike me again, or some details that I've forgotten. Non-fiction: Blue Zone stuff now, including a cook book and the "Challenge" book to live like those folks who live to 100. That is not my goal at all...but it's a different way to consider lifestyles.

Sandra Parshall said...

I start a lot more novels than I finish these days. The Last Beekeeper was one that held my attention all the way through. I read straight history -- aside from Hilary Mantel's books, I don't have a taste for much historical fiction. When people proudly announce that they read three or four books a week, I have to wonder when they have time for real life. One good book of reasonable length -- and there is no excuse for any novel being 700 pages long -- is about all I can manage now.

Marcia said...

The Source was one of my favorite books many many years ago. I think I read it twice. I always have been fascinated by archaeology and almost majored in it.

I read for entertainment, comfort, and challenges (mysteries). Just finished a non-fiction The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston. Just started Lessons in Chemistry.

JJM said...

Of late, I've been making a point of spending at least the first hour of each day with a book and a mug of tea. Like the other commenters, I read for education as well as for comfort. Depends on my mood, and I'll alternate between fiction & non-fiction, light reading & hard.

In non-fiction I mainly read histories -- most recently: Eric Jay Dolin's Black Flags, Blue Waters: the Epic History of America's Most Notorious Pirates and Guy de la Bédoyère's Domina: the women who made imperial Rome. I also have a tidy little collection of depressing books dealing with present political realities. (As someone once said, if you want a better country, you have to be a better citizen -- and, I'd add, an informed one.) The latest of these was Anne Applebaum's The Twilight of Democracy.

In fiction, I tend towards mysteries, especially cozies like Agatha Christie's, and lighter works such as Sonali Dev's delightful The Vibrant Years. I love Alice Hoffman's works of magical realism, as well as more serious works, such as Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. Occasionally, I turn to the classics, although I confess my annoyance at the immaturity and arrogance of the viewpoint character in Dostoevsky's The Adolescent caused me to set that book aside for now. Like Sandra Parshall, I avoid historical fiction, but I found Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond series addictive when it first came out and look forward to rereading it soon; Dunnett did her research as well as writing compellingly. (My other main exception in the genre is Paul Scott's magnificent Raj Quartet plus its short coda, Staying On, the last lines of which left me weeping.)

(Sorry to go on so long ... but even introspective readers often get loquacious when talking about books!)

JJM said...

p.s. -- loved Preston's Lost City of the Monkey God, and second Marcia's (implied) recommendation.

Junk Journal Penpals said...

I love to read, always have.Firstly I must say how much I loved reading your books Vicki. I think I've read them all now. I am a fellow Elizabeth Goudge reader. My favourite is The Herb of Grace. I lived in Ely for two years too so I identify with some of the places in her stories. Recently I had the urge to read Anne of Green Gables - a book I've never read before. I think I'm going back into my childhood recently, trying to fit in all the books I always meant to read and haven't yet, lol. I bought Anne of Green Gables and I am enjoying reading it immensely although I sympathise with Marilla and Matthew to some degree. It must have been very hard to listen to Anne's chatter all day long. I tried a book by Neil Gaiman and didn't like it at all. I have always loved P. D. James. The detail in her books is amazing. My favourite is The Lighthouse- set on the Island of Lundy, which is a place I've always wanted to visit. I recommend the books of Ann Cleeves. Her who-dunnits are wonderful, especially The Shetland novels. Loved this post. It made me think and remember. Star x