Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Reading While Waiting for Spring


Tender, brutal, heartbreaking, hopeful, Ward's intimate portrayal of an African-American family, living and dead, in present day Mississippi, is rightfully highly acclaimed. It should be a part of the national conscious and conscience. The governor of Florida would probably ban it from classrooms. 

To read this is to be moved, to understand, to some small extent, the dilemma of a person of color in a White dominated world, and to be amazed at the restraint shown by most of the Black community in the face of so much continued injustice.  


Man's inhumanity to man is also on full display in Rutherfurd's  Micherner-eque take on London, from the earliest inhabitants over 2,000 years ago, through the Romans, the Saxons, the Danes and the Normans and beyond.  It's over 800 pages of fascinating history, and it's also a novel, following several families through the centuries, chronicling their fortunes as they rise and fall. I found it engrossing reading.

Historical fiction was some of my favorite reading as early as junior high, kinda painless learning. I highly recommend both of these.

Oops--I inadvertently hit PUBLISH before setting the date for the second. And can't undo it. So this is Thursday's post a little early.

 

4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah, I had thought I had seen another post from you earlier in the day. Thanks for doing a recommendation of more good books. I got the Buncombe County library's adult list of Black literature, only to find I haven't read any of it...nor heard of the authors. So my favorites which I have read weren't on it. I probably won't live long enough to read all of those.

Sandra Parshall said...

Great recommendations. I have always devoured English history and love reading about the lives of ordinary people during the most tumultuous times.

Marcia said...

I think I read London many many years ago. I too like historical fiction but I think there's been too much emphasis on WWII of late.

jennyfreckles said...

Good recommendations. I enjoy historical fiction though often wonder where the line is between the actual 'historical' and the fiction. I know authors (mostly) do an awful lot of research.