Wednesday, February 15, 2023

A Valentine's Day Celebration



This card commemorates the first Valentine's Day of our marriage. 1964 and we were living in a tiny trailer (officially designated 'sub-standard housing' by the Marine Corps) in Midway Park at Camp Geiger near Camp Lejeune. I had just graduated and would not have a teaching job till September; we were living on John's pay as a PFC and the spousal allowance--not a lot left over for frills. Buying a magazine and a TV Guide was a once a week treat.

On that Valentine's Day, John brought me a blossoming branch of wild plum--framed by a coat hanger twisted into a heart shape. I've never had a Valentine I liked more.

                                                        

We celebrated this 59th Valentine's Day of our marriage in fine style--he brought me an orchid; I made him this card. He went out late in the afternoon to bring home fried chicken. I made potato salad and some salty, caramelly, chocolaty blondies. (Recipe HERE) There was bubbly. And we didn't have to drive home afterwards. 

Life is good.

                                                       





6 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

Congratulations to the two of you on a life together well lived, two sons you can be proud of, and a loving family I envy. Yes, you have a good life. ❤️

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great story of your marriage! A better Valentine could not be imagined!

Jean Baardsen said...

I love the card! I made mine, too. Inks on tissue paper and what looks like (by accident), a red flower with greenery in the background. Valentine's Day was the 53th anniversary of our engagement. We ate leftovers for dinner...

jennyfreckles said...

Still two love birds - that's wonderful.

Anvilcloud said...

What a great first gift that was. Compared to ours, your celebration was w=quite the event. Maybe we’ll do better next year.

Anvilcloud said...

Looks like they did a great job.