Thursday, February 16, 2023

A Challenge



Yikes! Trying to paint a likeness of an animal I actually know is a bitch. (Oops, didn't intend that pun.) As I launched into the preliminary sketch, taken from a photo, I realized the difficulty of the pose-- a side view would have been easier. Still, this is how one learns.


Angeline's front-on picture is easier--except for the difficulty of getting a deep enough black. And then there's the faux-Oriental rug in the background, just for fun. The blue bar in front is the top of the toy chest. That, at least, presented no problems.


 

4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Excellent portraits of a couple of beauties. I might add, practcally photographis. At some point you could maybe just make it a watercolor of the photo...without the perfection of each area. If that makes any sense.

Sandra Parshall said...

I love both of these. Jenny's pose is different and instantly charming. Yes, black fur is difficult. I have trouble taking pictures of Charlotte for that reason. What matters here is that you're exploring something new and having fun with it. Never stop learning!

jennyfreckles said...

You really are getting very good at painting. These are tricky subjects to tackle.

Vicki Lane said...

Barb--I aspire to getting a looser, more watercolorish look. But doing that AND getting a likeness is beyond my skill level at present. Onward!