Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Americanah


This is simply a marvelous book. The New York Times Book Review called it one of the ten best of the year. For me, it was eye opening.

Ifemelu comes from Nigeria to America and is forced to navigate a world in which she is now a minority. Beautiful, educated, and confident, she is a perfect narrator as she speaks through her blog about the differences between American Blacks and Non-American Blacks and about the tightrope all Blacks are forced to walk in their everyday life. Speaking as an outsider observing American life, she sees deeply into our society with a cool dispassionate gaze. And not a little humor.

I learned so much reading this delightful novel--things about Nigeria, where part of the action is set; the intricacies and politics of dealing with Black hair; the ins and outs of immigration, to name a few.

Highly, highly recommended!
 

 

5 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I also recommend it! Good book!

Sandra Parshall said...

Recommendation noted. Sounds very much worth reading.

Vagabonde said...

I’m trying not to buy new books while I still have thousands in Georgia to get rid of or move, but I just checked and they have it at the Nashville Library, so that will be a good book to check. Thanks for recommendation.

Mary Maupin said...

A little off topic, but another one by a great African/African American author, Toni Morrison. I highly recommend Recitatif. It made me question my perceptions.

Vicki Lane said...

Thaks, Mary--I'll check it out.