Tuesday, February 28, 2023

I've Always Wondered...


                                                       


These tousle-headed daffodils are the ones I see most often around old homesteads here. I have quite a few myself--descendants of some bulbs given me by a neighbor when we first moved here. I've always wondered what their name is but never found them in catalogues.                                                        




And now I know. They are Van Sion daffodils--at least 400 years old, and their extreme hardiness has contributed to their proliferation. And that proliferation probably explains why they're not in catalogues--everyone who grows daffs already has them or can get bulbs from a neighbor.

                                                     

More info about Van Sion HERE 

                                                  

5 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

I love daffodils for their persistence. When they're planted along roadsides they go wild, needing nothing but what nature provides to bloom year after year after year. If you want your mark on the world to remain long after you're gone, plant daffodils.

Marcia said...

I have never seen that variety. Maybe it thrives in your latitude but not farther north. If you ever feel like sharing a bulb I'm willing to experiment to see what it looks like up here in NH. I'm hoping the white iris you went me will bloom this year.

Marcia said...

Oops should be "sent" not "went".

Anvilcloud said...

I don’t know what kind we had in our former residence, but we had a spot where they thrived and multiplied, Or multiplied and thrived.

Junk Journal Penpals said...

Daffodils are like sunny smiles, aren't they. We have had such cold and windy weather lately that the daffies have held off. I have lots to come but not the variety you mention. Over here it often snows when the daffodils are blooming. We call it 'daffy snow' and it rarely breaks the blooms or stalks. They are remarkably hardy, aren't they. Spring is just around the corner now (smile) Star x