Monday, May 9, 2022

The Lincoln Highway

 

I loved Towles's Gentleman in Moscow and Rules of Civility, but, in my opinion, this novel is even better.

 What a wild ride! Engaging characters, tantalizing hints, and a plotline like a pinball game--with ever-multiplying balls sent hurtling in various directions. Yet it all hangs together.  I was blown away by Towles's storytelling virtuosity and read the whole long thing very quickly, knowing I have the audiobook ready to listen to. That will slow me down so I can appreciate it fully.

This review HERE covers the ground so well that I'm not going to say more. Except-- Highly Recommended.

4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh goodie goodie! I'm so glad he's written another book! Can't wait to find a copy! Or the audio! Whoopee!

Sandra Parshall said...

Where did this writer come from? Never heard of him, the. suddenly he's publishing brilliant novels that are showered with praise.

Marcia said...

I just read his first book Rules of Civility and found it very engaging. Gentleman in Moscow I plan to read again some day. It also was fabulous. I read Lincoln Highway and found it engrossing. Now the ending was confusing. I re read it several times but still must wonder what happened there? Murder or not? Hope I'm not giving too much way to Barbara. I have a friend who is an avid reader who didn't like it at all. She said not enough character development. Well, I disagree about that. Lots of characters and you slowly learned all about them to one's surprise.

Vicki Lane said...

Marcia--the ending was a bit ambiguous, to say the least. I'm content to have the question left up to the individual reader.

Sandy-- I wondered the same thing. Brilliant writer.