Friday, February 19, 2021

The Bones of Your Mother


In Greek mythology, Deucalion and Pyrrha are the sole survivors of a flood caused by angry Zeus. Daunted at the prospect of having to repopulate the world, they hear a voice directing them to cast the bones of their mother behind them. Correctly interpreting this riddle, they pick up rocks. Those cast by Deucalion become men, those from Pyrrha, women.



We are rich with rocks--those farmers who came before us made tidy piles of them in the fields to allow for easier plowing and cultivating.  Justin has mined those piles, along with picking up rocks everywhere, to make the stone walls that beautify the place. 

And every winter and every rain uncover more and more of our Mother's bones.


 

7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

We don't have to dig far at all to hit bedrock.

Vicki Lane said...

Is that the Laurentian Shield? I've heard that name but never thought much about it.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love seeing some of the older homes built in the mountains of stones...they are usually cemented together rather than the dry stone technique of many walls.

Marcia said...

You've given me food for thought. The large stones revealed in our cellar by the crew digging it out before pouring the concrete floor have revealed someone's "bones" I guess.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I hadn't known this Greek myth. I learn something new everytime I visit here! Will look at field stones in an entire different way! Happy weekend!

katy gilmore said...

Those are great rocks for building! Our rocks are all rounded by the sea on the shore. And even inland we just do gray and round.

Sally B said...

Love this image, and will carry "the bones of my mother" in my minds eye today.