Friday, February 26, 2021

Josie Is So Excited


On Wednesday it was warm and sunny and Meema said we could go down to the park at the river. Can we take a picnic? I said and Meema said Yes! So we packed an apple and a banana and six almonds and some leftover pancakes and some little tomatoes and some grapes.


Then I had to pack my rainbow bag.  I put in Hamsie and Blue Elephant and my binoculars and my piano book and my book called The Phantom Tollbooth.  Meema said I probably didn't need ALL of that but I told her I probably did.



The river is called The French Broad and it runs very fast. Meema said I had to stay away from the very edge and not fall in. It is also very cold, Meema said. 


The park is mainly for grownups--paddlers putting in their rafts and kayaks. There aren't any swings or slides or monkey bars but I found some stuff to climb on.


And I drew in the sand.


Lots of pigeons live around the bridge and we watched them flying.


I wanted to bring a blanket to have our picnic on but Meema said No way because she has trouble getting down on the ground and even more trouble getting back up. So it was a good thing that there was a picnic table for us.


It was a very good adventure.


 

6 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Thank you Josie for the tale about your picnic. Lovely photos your gran took of you at the park...and it must have been nice to be there by the big river...and playing out in the sunshine again. I've been doing some of the same things!

JJM said...

The Phantom Tollbooth? Your Meema is setting you on a wonderful path of reading, there, Josie! That's one of the books you'll come back to even when you're all grown up, and you'll enjoy it all over again -- perhaps with memories of being out on a warm, sunny day with someone you love, a picnic by the French Broad, and Hamsie sitting beside you with Blue Elephant.

Sandra Parshall said...

What a wonderful outing on the magnificent French Broad! I love your part of NC. I hope Wednesday signaled the end of winter for all us down south.

Vicki Lane said...

Alas, today is gloomy and chilly and rainy--but that happens in Spring too.

I can't take credit for TOLLBOOTH--she brought it with her from her house. (I do have a copy but hadn't yet introduced it to her.

Linda said...

Thank you, Josie. It was great hearing about your adventure and seeing the pictures. What wonderful memories for an almost spring day!


Marcia said...

What fun. It will be awhile before we have any picnics here.