Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Nostalgia On a Snowy Morning


When I awake to a scene like this, my first impulse is to burrow back under the comforter and wait for spring. But I lured myself out of bed by thinking of the breakfast I'd planned. 


Creamy leftover grits and sausage from Conecuh County, Alabama--my maternal grandfather's birthplace. My nostalgia for the Alabama I visited when I was young is tempered by my dislike for her politics but they sure make good sausage.


Though my grandparents moved to Florida early in their marriage, they never forgot the food of their youth and regularly received care packages from Alabama kin--spicy sausage, stone-ground meal and grits, and ribbon cane syrup. We're fortunate to have friends who grew their own sorghum last year and gave us a jar. 


John fed the birds while I cooked breakfast--warm and hearty and just the thing for a cold, cold day.


It snowed till almost noon and we ended up with about nine inches--a trifling amount, my Canadian friends are saying, no doubt. 


But it was the perfect background for this hearty breakfast--sausage and grits with a drizzle of sorghum. (As Clifford, our farming mentor used to say, 'Them are good 'lasses.'


 

6 comments:

Thérèse said...

I discovered sorghum in Arizonian fields but never tasted any.

Anvilcloud said...

No, 9" is not trifling. It's a very good snowfall that would likely cause school cancellation. The main difference is that I expect your snow will soon be gone. Meanwhile, we are now under a permanent blanket that will likely last well into next month. Brrr.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow...that is a lot of snow. It just flew around here, and with all the winds never accumulated at all. Sure was a cold, not to go anywhere day. I wake up craving sausage, even the plant-based variety. Sorghum is something like molasses, right?

Vicki Lane said...

Sorghum is similar to molasses but not as strong flavored. Molasses is from sugar cane--sorghum is from sorghum cane, aka (I think) ribbon cane. Much thinner stalks than sugar cane and easily grown and processed on the homestead. I've heard it called sorghum molasses. Good stuff!

Marcia said...

I like grits but Dan doesn't so never purchase them to make.
We got over a foot here in NH. It is lovely. We really missed snow in MD where we moved from last July. It mostly stopped snowing there for last 4-5 years. Of course they did get this storm.

-- I never could say anything in twenty words or less said...

Oh, yummy!! I had hot (instant) oatmeal this morning, myself, as preparations for getting out and shoveling out from under our own 9-10" of snow. The oatmeal was tasty, and we have, again, a usable driveway and sidewalks.