Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wisteria and Chocolate


The wisteria was in full bloom and that was a good enough reason to invite some friends to dinner last night. We began with drinks and nibbly bits down at the pond so we could enjoy the sight and smell of the lavender panicles drooping around us.




Such a beautiful May Day -- from the welcome rain to the emerald green of the pastures and the flowers blooming everywhere.


Moussaka was waiting for us back at the house, along with John's seeded bread, Greek salad, and sauteed asparagus and shitakes.

And for dessert -- frozen chocolate pie -- a popular favorite. I just wish I'd had the presence of mind to take its picture before we laid waste to it.




Frozen Chocolate Pie

A wonderful, mostly do-ahead crowd pleaser


Pecan Crust (1 9-inch)

2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons coffee liqueur (I use rum instead because I never happen to have coffee liqueur around)

Stir ingredients together; press mixture firmly onto bottom and up side of a nine-inch pie pan.
Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes. Gently press sides of crust with back of a spoon; cool.

Frozen Chocolate Pie Filling

6 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate squares
2 tablespoons strong coffee (or 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup coffee liqueur, divided ( again, I use rum instead)
1 and 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided (half will be used to top the pie)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt the chocolate squares with the coffee in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir about one-fourth of the hot chocolate mixture into the beaten eggs; now add the egg-chocolate mixture back to the remaining chocolate, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in three tablespoons coffee liqueur (or rum) and cook, continuing to stir for a few minutes. Remove from heat and cool.

Beat 3/4 cup of whipping cream with the vanilla till soft peaks form. Fold into cooled chocolate mixture. Spoon into pecan crust. Cover and freeze. Thaw slightly before serving so it will be easier to cut.

Before serving, whip remaining 3/4 cup whipping cream with 1 tablespoon rum till stiff peaks form. Spread on top of pie and grate a bit of chocolate on it for decoration
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

Oh Wow Vicki! The Wisteria at the Pond House is just AWESOME !
That pie sounds pretty awesome too!

Carol

Vicki Lane said...

I can't say enough about how good that pie is. I don't have a sweet tooth nor am I a 'chocoholic' but this pie is something else. Cold and crunchy and deep dark chocolaty and creamy and not too sweet. Oh lord, it's wonderful!

Susan M. Bell said...

Well, I do have a sweet tooth, and I am a chocoholic, so I am looking forward to making this pie one day. Thanks for the recipe.

I also adore Wisteria. That is a beautiful spot...you are so lucky. I'm thinking of putting some in near our creek one day. Would be able to see it from our back window, and it would be a great spot to sit and write. *sigh*

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Well, like Susan - I do have a sweet tooth and cannot wait to make this pie. And I always seem to have a bottle of Kahlua around. Perfect!

The wisteria is gorgeous. I'm going to show this picture to Donald as I'm thinking our creek needs this. Again - Perfect!

I'm so glad I dropped by!

Vicki Lane said...

Kaye and Susan -- Warning re wisteria -- give it a good strong support to grow on.

Warning re pie -- be sure to double the recipe so you can have one in the freezer for later.

Miss_Yves said...

I love this idea,(to eat sweets under wisteria with your friends ...)the title,(so funny or mysterious ) and especially the first and second photos .(the second looks like a japanese painting )

Vicki Lane said...

Thank you, Miss Yves! I too think the second photo is very like a Japanese painting. (The last photo, on the other hand, resembles a Jackson Pollock piece!)

Amelia said...

haha, as I was reading this I was thinking, "I better see if I can get that recipe" and was very excited to find it posted a little further down! I am going to make this tonight to enjoy tomorrow (if I can wait!) and I am pretty excited about it! Thinking fondly of the wisteria and all of the fun that it seems to usher in year after year...

Vicki Lane said...

Hey, Amelia,

It's really better(IMO)frozen pretty hard so try to wait. (Licking the bowl should help.)

Anonymous said...

hi:

Just stumbled across your website. I was looking for a really decadent chocolate pie recipe for this weekend. The one you have posted sounds delish!!!!

Have a recipe question. In the pie filling it calls for 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided. Then in how to sectiona-----recipe states to beat 3/4 cup whipping dreaam fold into chocolate mixture. The whip remaining 3/4 cup whipping cream for the top.

So confused. Would appreciate exactly how much whipping cream to use in recipe.

Thanks

Vicki Lane said...

Hi, Anonymous -- It should be 1 and 1/2 cups -- thanks for calling it to my attention. I've fixed it in the post.

This is a WONDERFUL hot weather treat, especially served frozen.