Friday, May 22, 2009

Rainbows and Root Canals



Life has a funny way of evening things out -- at least, that's what I was thinking as I left the dentist yesterday.

On Tuesday I was riding high -- buoyed up by the fabulous news of the Anthony nomination. On Wednesday I went to the ophthalmologist -- routine every few years checkup -- and was told that it was time for me to get 'real' glasses -- bifocals, no less -- to replace the drugstore reading glasses that have been my standbys for a very long time now. And, oh yes, the doctor could see the beginning of cataracts -- nothing to worry about just now but somewhere down the line, steps will have to be taken . . .

Bummer. But, I told myself, no big deal -- they can fix cataracts these days. And I've been lucky to avoid 'real' glasses all these years.

On Thursday it was off to the dentist for the semi-annual tooth cleaning. I mentioned a little tenderness I'd been noticing on my left lower jaw . . . the x-ray revealed an abscessed tooth.

So I'm signed up for a root canal soon.

I remember my mother-in-law saying when she was about the age I am now -- "After sixty, it's maintenance, maintenance, maintenance."

I left the dentist's office in a somber mood only to have a very pleasant surprise. The former concrete block box at the end of town that has been slowly being transformed into a quaint little book shop from a fairy tale was open!


I have always loved bookstores, including those selling used books. (Though my feeling are a little mixed about seeing my own books for sale -- since that's a sale that won't give me that magnificent sum of 42 cents garnered from the sale of a new book. )












No matter -- I'm delighted the Lapland Bookshop and Arts is open for business and brightening up the end of Main Street. (Why Lapland? Because that was our town's original name till it was changed sometime in the 1800's.)





I met the owners, Mick and Stacy, and it was fun to hear Mick say that he was in the midst of reading Signs in the Blood-- and was just at the part where Little Sylvie is having a baby.














The shop has only been open a few days and there will be more books coming -- but already there is an interesting assortment. I browsed the titles of NC history and couldn't resist a volume on Madison County Heritage.




By the time I got home, happy in the knowledge of a new nearby bookstore to browse, things were back in proportion. Root canals and cataracts no longer had the power to spoil my day.

We got the tomatoes set out and some more garden work done and then, as we ate supper, looked out the window to see a faint rainbow in the east -- surprising because there's been no rain.



Life is good.


12 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Yes, life is good even with bifocals and root canals. I have to wear trifocals. It could be worse you know. Great bookstore.
Sam

Carol Murdock said...

Life is good!The bookshop looks and sounds wonderful!
We have green baseball size tomatoes.

Vicki Lane said...

"I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet." I don't remember who said that but I know how blessed I have been and am -- what if there were no dentists or eye doctors? Or what if I couldn't afford the care?

On the other hand, I do envy Carol's green tomatoes.

Stella Jones said...

My sympathies on the root canal and cataracts. I agree with your mum about the maintenance issue (as I await my blood tests).
The rainbow picture is gorgeous, such a delicate rainbow. Can I have that picture please?
The bookstore looks SO inviting. Like you, I adore bookshops. There are always so many treasure to find inside them, aren't there. This one does indeed look like a fairy castle.
Blessings Star

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Life is good, because you're able to stop focusing on the 'down' parts... And re-focus on the 'up' parts!

Wisdom, my Dear. Wisdom.

Aunt Amelia

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

Dang. sorry about that tooth, Vicki! If it ain't one thing, it's another, huh?
Who (besides my mother in law) said "growing old isn't for sissies?" As one of those seeing the other side of 60 this year, I have to agree. But. Life IS good. Especially when you have a lovely new bookstore moving into town - Hooray!

Liz said...

I'm so happy to see the bookstore finally open - I love the wood doors that Lee Walker made. Are they going to be displaying art by local artists from the Marshall High Studios? I plan to do as much shopping downtown as possible to support local businesses.

Vicki Lane said...

Star - you (and anyone else) are welcome to the pictures on my blog. (If you publish them, I'd appreciate a byline.) That is a gossamer wisp of a rainbow, isn't it?

Welcome, Aunt Amelia -- and what lovely blogs You have, my dear! Re wisdom -- at least that's one good thing that age can bring.

Kaye -- this little bookshop is Wonderful!

Liz -- The doors are beautiful. Lee does fine work. I think he did the interior woodwork too.

I don't know what their plans for displaying art are -- as I said, they Just opened and are not fully stocked yet.

Victoria said...

First, a belated congratulations on the nomination for the Anthony Award! I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Oh, I could spend many happy hours in that bookstore. I love to see small, privately owned bookstores thriving in spite of the mega bookstores.

You have my sympathy on the root canal and the cataracts. I'm not quite 60 yet, but the past few years have been filled with "maintenance." But aren't we fortunate that we live in an age where these things can be fixed?

Vicki Lane said...

Thank you, Victoria!

Isn't that little store the most perfect looking place? If I didn't already have the wonderful life I have on our farm, I could imagine living there, over the shop, and selling beautiful old, gently used books, gradually getting dottier and dottier as I became known as the eccentric old lady at the end of town.

Tammy said...

Ouch. From the bottom of my heart! However once you get that abcess cleared up you will probably notice you feel a little peppier. Those things can drag you down and you don't even realize it. After I had a nice sales return last weekend at the Fiber Fair, that Sunday night, I had a coughing fit, sucked on a cough drop...and somehow pulled loose a perfectly good front crown---and SWALLOWED it. Unbelievable. So the new crown is costing about $50 more than I made. ha.. However the plus side is the dentist is much cheaper than most and is giving me a 'discount' over my hard luck. Up and down, so it goes.
Tammy (p.s. I love the peaceful, inviting look of the bookstore)

Vicki Lane said...

Tammy -- aha -- the balancing process is at work in your life too!

My dentist started me on some antibiotics and I feel better already. Will get the tooth dealt with in early June.