Monday, April 29, 2024

A Good Year for Epiphyllums

 

                                                                                                

Our greenhouse is home to an assortment of these lovelies--also known as orchid cactus. I acquired my first one (the one pictured here) about forty years ago (can it have been that long?) when Justin was in a youth soccer league and my friend Sue (whose son was also playing,) found ourselves in an unfamiliar part of Asheville and after the game, just had to check out a local greenhouse. 

                                                                                                  

They had a wonderful selection of epiphyllums in various colors, but they weren't cheap, and I had to be content with selecting the gaudiest of the lot.                                                                                         

The weather has been too uncertain to put them outside yet, but they have been blooming exuberantly in the crowded greenhouse.

Somewhere along the way, I was given this red variety below.

And my friend Lisa S. brought me this dainty pink one below.  

When the weather is reliably warm, I'll try to get these babies outside and do some repotting and propagating. May they all last another forty years!














4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

How wonderful for you to have a greenhouse and to have such beauty within it.

Barbara Rogers said...

These are so beautiful! Somehow I've never seen them that I remember. Great green thumb you have there!

Sandra Parshall said...

I've never seen these plants. The flowers are lovely.,

Marcia said...

That's a long time for those plants. They have a great caretaker.