Monday, October 3, 2022

Things Fall Apart . . .


The center cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
And the dog is on the table.

Apologies to W.B. Yeats


Ian brought us some much-needed rain and cooler temperatures. We've had two days of this socked-in weather and are so happy to have been spared the bad effects of the storm.

 I lay in bed Sunday morning, warm under the covers, putting off getting up into the cooler-than-I really-like-it house, and reminded myself that throughout history, untold numbers of people have spent much of their lives never being warm enough. And sleeping on dirt floors. So, I got up and dressed in layers.

It was only a few days ago that we closed all the windows. And on Saturday night, we had the first fire of the season. Before long, I'll find myself making pumpkin bread.


 

8 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

We've had rain off and on, and it's been dreary and cold. Cats anywhere they want to be. Our heat has been on for a while now, although the leaves have just begun to change color. Fall depresses me.

Marcia said...

I'm dressing in layers now too and thermostat set at 65ª. We had our second frost last night, heavier than the first one.

Barbara Rogers said...

Haven't been out much...except to drive around a bit yesterday where sun and clouds took turns Lots of clouds forming over the top of the Seven Sisters arm from the Black Mountains. And this morning, no mountain showed on the other side of the valley, not from leaves, but from fog. Layers to wear is the name of the game!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jennyfreckles said...

Glad you were spared the worst of Ian. I hate being chilly but with energy prices so high I'm having to be a bit mindful. I used to think you 'got used' to the cold and perhaps you do a bit. Years ago we lived in a house with no central heating and it was frigid, but not unbearable. I used to wear ski salopettes around the house in winter! (Maybe I should buy some more.) I'm often cold nowadays even when others seem not to be!

Unknown said...

I love the dog on the table photo! One Christmas afternoon we returned home from a friend's house to discover that our dog had apparently mastered jumping from the back of the couch onto the table -- where there was a bowl of Hershey kisses. Thank goodness the chocolate didn't kill him! He scattered the candy wrappers all over the house, I guess thinking I was such a poor housekeeper I wouldn't find the evidence.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Yeats is one of my favorite poets; I love the new twist with the dog on the table. As for Ian and Ian's wake, I feel so sorry for those who experienced such devastation. Between floods and fires in the past few years, so many homes have been lost. It must be terrible to see your home simply vanished.

Here in California (we aren't back in Portugal yet), the weather has turned cool but not cold. Afternoons are still quite comfortable. But for some years we lived in Georgia, and I remember how cold cold can be!

Anvilcloud said...

You and Yeats, eh?

There is much layering to the north of you for sure, but we are hanging tough.