Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Intimations of Change


A maple on the bank above our house always jumps the gun and begins dropping beautifully colored leaves in early August.  And while I know in my heart that autumn and cooler weather are a good ways off, I can't help enjoying this sneak preview--especially on the days that the temperature and humidity weigh on us, making it hard to breathe.

I try to enjoy each season for its offerings and summer's field flowers and butterflies (alas, not many) are among the pleasures--along with the amazing heirloom tomatoes and peaches now available. I'm loving the different salads and cold soups that we have for supper, the fragrance of just mown grass, an adult beverage under the fan on the porch of an evening, and the fireflies that dot the night. 

But life and the planet roll on and these early messengers remind me to carpe each diem.



 

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I have to wonder why that happens. There’s a tree nearby whose roots get pretty flooded, so I think that’s why it changes early.

Sandra Parshall said...

Our two cherry trees drop some leaves in the heat of August. Always have. But they're healthy and bloom beautifully in spring, so we don't worry about them.They're American cherries, so they are in their native climate.