Monday, December 13, 2021

Decking the Halls--A Beginning


Christmas around here evokes waves of nostalgia--generally pleasant. There's the Carolina Lily pillow I made probably thirty years ago. The red calico is some that my grandmother bought for me at least forty years ago when they came to visit. It was at a "country" store in Burnsville and she said it was identical to the fabric in a dress she'd had as a girl--pre 1900. The red print on the corners was a gift from my friend Shelia. So many memories. . .


Lots to think about as I set in to make the traditional cranberry/popcorn chain. (Though I also enlivened the process by listening to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy--a favorite ever since my son Ethan's friend Jake introduced us to this divine madness--again, maybe thirty years ago. 

In the past pre-covid days, we had get-togethers to decorate the tree and many hands stringing popcorn. This year, it's just John and me--he puts up the tree and wrangles the light--I string the popcorn and, bit by bit, unpack and arrange the decorations.


More nostalgia--I bought the trunk the decorations are stowed in in Atlanta in 1960. My father kindly (grumbling all the way) lined it with wallpaper in the summer of '61. It's showing its age rather badly (but then so am I) and I don't see myself relining it.

This year's tree is smaller than the giant one we used to get--maybe 8 feet instead of 10 or 12 and it seems just right. The giant trees required we turn off the Monitor heater and rely on wood for the duration; now I prize the warmth over the drama of the big tree. Plus, the big tree meant a ladder and young help--it's nice to have a more manageable size--though it will take another day to complete hanging the ornaments. 

John and I opened a bottle of cava to celebrate getting this far in the holiday preparations. Maybe we'll open another when it's all in place.

 

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

As you may recall, I experienced nostalgia at our tree party. Our party was just for five, and so shall it be for Christmas.

Barbara Rogers said...

Christmas accoutrements do have memories attached. Part of the joy of holidays is the blending of traditions and the newest shared goodies. I have distanced myself from much of that with no tree for the last 5 years...and only sparse decorations for all my retired years. Yet the rituals remain in memories.

Sandra Parshall said...

We gave up trees long ago because...well, cats. We put out a wreath and crowd the cards we've received on the mantle and elsewhere and that's it.

Marcia said...

We gave up a live tree after struggling to bring a big one in to our great room at The Lodge. Went to a very tall artificial which worked well until all the lights went off. I had to unstring them from the branches and then put new ones on. That 8-9 ft tree is long gone - sold at auction when we downsized. Purchased a slender 6 footer for the retirement apartment and now here in a house again we're sticking to it. Lights went out on top half but instead of taking them off I bought a string to substitute.