Friday, December 31, 2021

Breaking Up Christmas Again


When I went out to fill the birdfeeder yesterday morning, the balmy air and the budding quince made the red bows and Christmas greenery on the porch look sad and tawdry and so over. 

Inside was the same. And although I traditionally take down the tree on New Year's Eve and leave out most of the red and green and Christmas-related decor, I was ready for a clean sweep and began breaking up Christmas.


I made a good start and by this evening, the red and green will have been replaced by blue and yellow and the naked tree will be out the door, per my grandmother's injunction about avoiding bad luck. The lights will stay up a few more months to get us through the darkness. 


I took a break for a necessary trip to the grocery store for collards and black-eyed peas. And there were yellow primroses that smelled of Spring in the flower department.

Onward to the New Year!


 

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I imagine that Sue will begin the breakup soon. But much can be used in her winter theme. A figurine snowman, for example, works for both themes.

Happy New Year

Marcia said...

I never heard it referred to as the break up! But it happens here for us on New Year's Day. I think snowflakes will remain for a bit and some snowmen and maybe the lights in the windows but the rest will be boxed up very soon.

Happy New Year.

jennyfreckles said...

I don’t usually have a particular day when I pack things away. I suddenly get tired of the ‘clutter’. It’s been tidied up for a couple of days now and I soon get used to the apparent bareness.

Sandra Parshall said...

We have neighbors who leave their outdoor Christmas lights up and twinkling into February. I guess taking them down is a lot of work, but after a while they look absurd.

Barbara Rogers said...

Excellent to hear you're beginning the next year with the old trappings put away. I never was so wise. Happy New Year to you and yours!