Sunday, March 8, 2020

The Bear's Gift


Thanks to a passing bear, I now have a better view of the customers at our bird feeder.


A few nights ago the dogs were in a frenzy, barking to get out.  We didn't let them out and in the morning found that the metal pole the birdfeeder was on had been broken (see red arrow) and the feeder emptied. Pretty sure it  was a bear.


So John moved the feeder to the deck below our dining room windows. Yes, I know, bears can climb and this may be a short-lived solution. 


But for the moment I'm enjoying sitting by the window, with a closer look at the birds--towhees, cardinals, goldfinches, nuthatches, titmice, wrens, chickadees . . .


This feeder doesn't allow the bigger birds like blue jays--we have another feeder for them. And the dove mainly stay on the ground beneath the feeder.


Sometimes you have to wait your turn...


On the railing or in the crabapple...


It could be worse.


7 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, I guess the bears are waking up again.

Anvilcloud said...

You have a nice assortment of birds.

GPearson said...

Vicki, is that a Baltimore Oriole? I haven't seen one since I moved from NC 30+ years ago! Wow!

jennyfreckles said...

Gosh, bears? You do live in an exciting place! I love to watch birds at the feeders though, so having it nearer your window will, I'm sure, be a treat for you.

NCmountainwoman said...

What a lovely assortment of beautiful birds. Bears have a long memory for where they find food and the bear will be back. We bring all our feeders in at dusk and put them in large trash cans in the garage.

Vicki Lane said...

Gale-- that's a Rufous Sided Towhee. I've never seen a Baltimore Oriole.
Jenny -- there are lots of bears around but this is the first time we've been so visited.
Carolyn-- I know that's what we're going to need to do.

Juliet said...

How lovely to have such a close up view of so many beautiful birds.