Friday, August 16, 2024

Speaking as a Post-Menopausal Tradwife . . .


                                                                         


 With the latest (the latest as I write this, no doubt there'll be more) revelation of JD Vance's deeply weird world view--i.e., that post-menopausal women's primary function is childcare, I find myself in a bit of a quandary.

I mean, here I am, happily providing a significant amount of childcare, while at the same time deploring the view that it's my only worth.

I disagree strongly with this view. Post menopause, I wrote and saw published seven novels and taught writing classes for many years. This was pre-childcare. Now I'm retired from the writing game and enjoying seeing the world through the eyes of my granddaughter.

Then I realize that for most of my life, I've also been a stay-at-home mom and housewife--a tradwife, as some would call it. Yikes! (Except for nine years spent as a teacher. According to the Orange One, that's not a job in the private sector and makes me almost a Communist. Oh, but wait, eight of those years were in private schools . . .it's complicated, isn't it?)

There's something disturbing about a party that is so up in everyone's business--worried about restrooms and life choices and books and religion--a party that was once all about personal freedom from government.

I'm with the Harris/Walz team--Mind Your Own Damn Business. 

As for the view that women belong at home, making and caring for children--there's nothing wrong with that IF IT'S YOUR CHOICE. 

But I choose a world where folks like Nancy Pelosi and Kamala Harris--or Mary Oliver or Taylor Swift or Jane Goodall-- aren't defined by the number of children they birth or care for, but by what they choose to do with their lives.

7 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

When people don't have anything good to say about what they're doing, and just focus on trying to denigrate others, somehow we all see how really empty they are. Not a difficult thing to see at all. Sad, in a way. Definitely not eligible for leadership.

Anonymous said...

Vance is a jerk. He has offended many millions of American women. Who is he to tell women how to live their lives?

Anonymous said...

I called Lily and Noah and told them I had no further use since they have both made, what we thought was the very personal and private decision to have no children. Imagine our surprise when, having thought this was their and our business, we find that I must be take out into a field and left to die, obviously for the good of society. We are saddened but they are trying to work out those details now.

Anvilcloud said...

Hear, hear!

Barbara Anne said...

Amen, sister!!

Vicki Lane said...

Thoughts and prayers to you all at this difficult time.

Vagabonde said...

I declare, this jerk is alienating many women. This is good, so hopefully they won’t vote for this **%$ (excuse my German…)

I just received a tee-shirt that I’ll wear with pride, it says “Over educated cat lady who votes.” Who else is he going to insult? Women in 2024 should be able to chose if they want to get married, or stay single, have children or none, and help with grand-kids and can’t or won’t and so on. Like Tim Walz said “Mind your own damn business” and stay out of women’s private lives, and private health.