Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Hi/Lo Tech Solution to Cold Sheets


We seem to have come through the worst of it--I'm writing this Monday morning. Power is still on, but folks are being asked not to travel due to uncleared roads and the possibility of black ice.


That's fine with me; I'm not going anywhere. A good day to mess with watercolor.


This thingy pictured below is a buckwheat?) filled heating pad my friend Sue made for me years ago to help with my occasional back pain. You stick it in the microwave (high tech) for about four minutes and it holds the heat for quite a long time. Great for an aching back.

It also serves as a low tech warmer for icy sheets. I pop it between the sheets while I shower and when I get in bed, it's deliciously warm. Then I shove it down to the foot of the bed where it warms my toes. 

Small pleasures!


 

6 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Great idea. I like the watercolor one as well. I can't wait to drive around and take photos of the beautiful mountains!

Anvilcloud said...

I seem to have a vague memory of mice getting into one of those bags. Perhaps I am mistaken.

KarenB said...

I have a even lower tech, but similar, bed warmer. It’s a men’s cotton athletic sock filled with plain rice and tied in a knot. Easy enough to dump out the rice and wash it occasionally. Isn’t it lovely to snuggle cold toes on?

Marcia said...

I tend to have a back ache that comes and goes. Maybe I should look in to one of these back warmers too.

JJM said...

A dry version of a hot water bottle, in other words, but not as ruinous should it spring a leak. Still, you do need a microwave large enough to hold such a pillow.

My mother tried to find hot water bottles here in the U.S. for years, but in vain. She picked up a few when she went back to Europe on a family visit -- sturdy specimens of thick rubber, securely stoppered. In the meantime, we made do with the traditional substitute: an earthenware bottle like those Bols jenever comes in, filled with hot water straight from the kettle and wrapped in a towel. Great for keeping your feet warm when you're going to sleep.

I still have my mother's hot water bottles, and perhaps should bring them back into action. Test them first, of course.

Sandra Parshall said...

I need one of those. I have a constant backache, but I won't leave an electric heating pad in in the bed.