Saturday, January 15, 2022

Four Brown Hounds


Jenny is the latest incarnation of my favorite sort of dog--a reddish-brown, flop-eared hound. 



Her long legs have a good bit of white on them and she's quite a bit taller than Willa, her immediate predecessor. (below) 

Willa was a Mountain Feist and when she had to be put down due to kidney failure, I took my time about looking for another dog. It's foolish to think you can find a duplicate of a much- loved pet--I suspect even clones have differences. But when I finally was ready, I looked for a similar type. And as fate would have it, Jenny has turned out to be much like Willa in temperament and quirks. I find myself calling her Willa now and then. 


William was another brown hound--or part hound. We suspect Dachshund (hound) and Chihuahua (not hound) were the major contributors to his heritage. His personality lacked the independent, cat-like streak that is strong in hounds. In short (which he was,) he was a bit of a suck-up. He was the inspiration for James in the Goodweather books
                                                                                      
                                                                                

And there was Maggie, my amber-eyed Mountain Cur, prototype of Elizabeth Goodweather's Molly. Long gone and still missed, something of her lives on too. And when I'm not calling Jenny Willa, I sometimes call her Maggie.

NOTE: The forecast winter storm may leave us without internet. So if I don't post tomorrow, that's why.
                                                     



5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

We have a storm forecast too, but it isn’t the same one as yours. Actually, ours should just be a good snowfall, and even that is not yet written in stone yet. Personally, I would like a good dumping as we haven’t had a good one yet this winter. I hope it goes well for you.

JJM said...

Wishing you good fortune during the forecasted winter storm -- be it a snowpocalypse or icepocalypse or a mere inconvenience. We're battening down hatches up here in Virginia, too.

Only three more months before a (fairly) reliable spring ...

Sandra Parshall said...

Beloved pets live on in our hearts. I hope Jenny is settling down and no longer eating your shoes!

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved seeing the pets who inspired the wonderful ones in your books. That should be the other way around...wonderful pets! Which was the one in the painting? It's real isn't it, or did you just play with photo editing? Life is so full of mysterious ways to change reality these days! Stay safe in the coming snow!

Marcia said...

I see your preference in dogs in all your choices.
Very, very cold here. Not even above 0º yet. Was -10º when we awoke. Sotrm will likely hit us Sunday night or Monday. Hope electricity doesn't go out as we will have no heat should that happen.