Thursday, October 14, 2021

Autumn Light--Cheap or Rich?



 A commenter on one of my recent posts of photos from around here said she'd always disliked autumn light, calling it 'cheap light' because it isn't as direct and full on as summer light. 

True enough. Summer light is hard-edged and clear while autumn light is mellow and a little blurred around the edges. Kind of like the difference between young people and elders.

                                                    

But I've always loved the golden haze of autumn. To me it's a magical, liminal time--not straightforward like summer. I see the air as rich and heavy with memories of the past spring and summer, waiting to be wiped clean by winter.

And that's maybe another parallel with people.

                                            

4 comments:

Marcia said...

In the afternoon on a Fall day the sunshine is very golden around here. We were in VT last evening at sunset and marveled at the golden light.

KarenB said...

I love autumn. I love the cooler weather, I love the gentler light, I love the colors of the leaves. Summer is so in your face with the heat and the blazing sun.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh yes, give me the gentler angled light of autumn any day of the week...and at least for a couple of months before grey light of winter-time, when it seems clear but at such a low angle!!

Anvilcloud said...

Generally speaking, photographers dislike summer and its harsh light.