Saturday, March 27, 2021

And the Progress of Work


This little exercise above was inspired by a memory (I didn't have it in front of me) of a picture (below)my friend Martin posted on FB. (I went back and found it after the fact.) The original probably isn't watercolor and I couldn't come near to the intensity. But what I was intrigued by was the simplicity of the shoreline and sky reflected in the water.

I wasn't at all happy with my effort so I kept fiddling with it. White ink streaks to denote the water, a few gulls in the air, and a tiny figure on the hill, singing the sun up. (Byron B., is that you?)

I'll try again with the original in front of me. Now that's a good picture!



But it was back to the basics for me with the book of four-step exercises. I chose the pear and the melon slice as they use the same colors and I could work on one while the other was drying between steps. (It's good practice in patience, this waiting for the piece to dry. I don't always manage.)


The melon slice was a bit of a botch as my drawing was slightly off and I tried to make a correction halfway through. You can do that with oils--not so much with watercolors. At least, I can't. Lesson learned: don't rush the drawing, even something so simple as a slice of melon.


I was happier with the pear. But the best thing is the sense of calm and peace that paying close attention brings. I've never meditated, as such, but I suspect this is similar.

Ommm.


 

8 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I quite like our interpretation of the shoreline.

Marcia said...

You did capture the pear.

Barbara Rogers said...

Very good pear...and you had some interesting notes of your personality on the reflected clouds painting...always worth working on, but only in the spacing of applications...so keep up that patient good work!

Judith said...

I admire your initiative and self motivation. I want to do some drawing and learn how to use watercolors, but so far all I've done is think about it (sigh).

Vicki Lane said...

Judy, it took me about 20 years to get around to it. And I'm having so much fun! There are lots of good how to videos on Youtube. And just by messing around with the paint you will discover all sorts of things!

Thérèse said...

I like the reflection in the water of your first watercolor, letting the paint go wild. Plus the pleasure of being at the pleasure of painting and not at something else. What a treat for the mind!

katy gilmore said...

Pleasure in the process a d the product can also be fun!

Miss_Yves said...

J'éprouve les mêmes sentiments et impressions que Thérèse.
Se plonger dans un travail artistique, quelle merveille !