Saturday, December 19, 2020

The Winternight Trilogy




 On these cold days, I've been wandering through a fantasy world set in 14th century Russia -- a land torn between Christianity and the older pagan ways that pay tribute to the spirits of the land and home. A land, too, struggling to free itself from its Tatar overlords.

Vasya, a young girl of good family, is  disturbingly aware of this pagan world and even more aware that she doesn't want to marry or become a nun--the only two possible futures for a girl like her. She is a compelling character--and her adventures in both of these worlds worlds are the stuff of mythology.

Arden has made a fascinating story in these three volumes, seamlessly interweaving Russian history and folk tales. The Winter King and the Snow Maiden, Baba Yaga, the Firebird, and many more come to brilliant life on the pages. 

A perfect trilogy for these cold dark days.

2 comments:

KarenB said...

Oh! I read the first of these several years ago and loved it. I'll have to go search out the next two. Thank you for reminding me of them!

Kat van Rooyen said...

This trilogy is so intriguing to me! You have enticed me and now I must find them! Thank you so much ♥️
Kat van Rooyen