Saturday, August 26, 2023

Outdated Words

                                                                          


Saw this on Facebook yesterday and thought, Yep, I'm at least that old. Then I remembered when I referred to my cell phone as a telephone and Josie corrected me. "Meema, this (picking up a vintage rotary dial phone we gave her as a toy) is a telephone."

I still say typing instead of keyboarding.

What else? I have occasionally referred to the refrigerator as an ice box--not because I remember them but because my grandmother did and that's what she called the refrigerator.

My grandparents also called a bicycle a wheel, and a blouse a waist, but I never adopted those terms. Jeans were dungarees (which is a kinda cool word--though cool is probably old school now,) and, instead of a purse, my grandmother had a pocketbook. I may still occasionally use that term, though I rarely carry anything but a credit card wallet that fits in my pocket. 

What about you--are there any outmoded words you still use?

(I'm tempted to go into a little rant about words such as truth, honesty, politeness, decency, all of which are endangered in some quarters. But I won't.)

                                                      





4 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

Cool has been around for more than a hundred years, and I still hear it and read it a lot. I think it has amazing staying power. I usually go along with current usage and don't use any outdated terms.

Barbara Rogers said...

My kitchen sometimes has a drainboard. Which reminds me of running boards on cars...and don't use that phrase any more. Goodness you're busy, I just saw a post of golden rod and made a comment and here we are discussing yesterday's terms. I definitely have an ice box sometimes. And I'm a frequent perveyor of "cool." It's hard to come up with more positive terms in reacting to blogs sometimes.

Anvilcloud said...

I do say typing, perhaps just because it is shorter than keyboarding. 😎

Not sure what else. I'll try to keep it in mind.

jennyfreckles said...

Hmm, got me thinking now. I call my apron a pinny (short for pinafore, I guess) because all the women in my family did. (My daughter doesn't even wear one, even when she's cooking!) I say 'cool' too, though I'm sure it's no longer cool to do so.