Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Family Ephemera


What a surprise! The daughter of my (late) mother's (late) longtime friend sent me this mixed bag of clippings and photos from the Thirties and Forties. 


Many of these are familiar to me--my grandmother was an assiduous scrapbooker--but at this remove in time I am struck  by their youth. I think my father was 25 and my mother 24 when they married. 


Frances, John's mother, was even younger.

I knew (from my grandmother's scrapbooks) of my grandfather's work for war bonds and his encounter with film star Veronica Lake. I've seen pictures of him on stage with the blonde bombshell and he doesn't look nearly so stern. In fact, he appears to be enjoying himself right much.


 

3 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

These are great clippings with photos of the ancestors...which is anybody no longer walking around I'd guess. So cool about your grandfather's war bonds story...blond bombshell indeed!

Sandra Parshall said...

Isn't it great that some people keep such things? I'm glad they were sent to you by a thoughtful friend instead of just thrown away.

Anvilcloud said...

Lane walks down memory lane.