Thursday, August 17, 2023

Intimations of Change


After a lengthy series of thunderstorms in the early morning hours of Tuesday, by Tuesday evening the weather had become cool and dry--a most welcome development. Yesterday was in the low 80s, forecast to plunge to 59 degrees at night.


As I drove to the grocery store, I was struck by the quality of the morning light slanting through the trees. Everything seemed brighter, crisper, and dare I say it, just a tad Autumnal.

Yes, it's a month away. Yes, the temps will climb again by the end of the week. But I found myself in the AC of the grocery store, tossing the ingredients for chili into my buggy and thinking about making stuffed butternut squash. . . two meals I reserve for cool weather.

I hadn't completely lost my mind. There were also some lovely heirloom tomatoes, too nice to pass up. And fresh mozzarella for Caprese salad--a quintessentially summer dish, enjoyable even in this cooler weather.
 
I did not acquire pumpkin spice anything.



 

3 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

I'm always glad to live in a country that actually has seasons. I'd find it hard to be in a place with roughly the same climate all year round.

Barbara Rogers said...

I am on the same weather wave-length. Said it was a nice taste of autumn to come, and ate lunch outside at noon! Still only low 70s then, though it did get into high 80s before all the day was done. No fooling, but yes there will be more sweltering days...but oh what a nice respite to have in mid August!

Sandra Parshall said...

Oh, I am sad to see summer fading! I love to see blooming life all around, fat and colorful. Autumn feels like death descending, everything fading, shriveling, falling dead to the ground. However hot it is, I love summer and hate to see it go.