Tuesday, December 27, 2022

New Life


A gift from Claui's folks, the amaryllis is on the verge of bloom-maybe a symbol of the coming year? As the cold spell continues, it's a pleasure to watch something green and growing.

Our Christmas was a bit muted as Ethan and Aileen stayed in Atlanta because we were afraid we might lose water/power. (As it turned out, we didn't.)

Josie had already opened presents on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning --but she was indefatigable, playing the role of the elf who handed out presents. And of course there were more for her. As the day wore on, she became a bit overwhelmed and abandoned her new stuff for the familiarity of the Castle People.  

We began what may be a new tradition for Christmas dinner-- jambalaya! It was delicious and festive and gorgeous--I'll make it again next month when Ethan and Aileen come up for their delayed Christmas and this time, I'll take pictures.

I also made a pecan pie, amped up by the inclusion of chocolate and rum--a definite keeper.

Getting in touch with my inner New Orleans self? (Note: My only experience of New Orleans was a half an hour in 1959 when the bus I was riding to Mexico for summer school, stopped in NOLA at daybreak and some of my friends and I RAN to the French Quarter just to say we'd been there.)


 

3 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

Glad you made it through with power and water intact. The super cold is supposed to lift as this week goes on.
I wonder why amaryllis are associated only with the Christmas season. They're so beautiful and come in such a variety of reds, pinks, and whites, that we should have them to enjoy at other times. My pink one is already fading, but I have two reds that are just beginning to open, and one has an amazing three flower stalks, the other two.

Anvilcloud said...

Sue got to NO as part of a conference once upon a time. I don’t know how well she ate though because she doesn’t prefer spicy.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

What a beautiful bud of the amarylis. I don't think I've ever seen one before. I'm glad you had a nice Christmas despite the cold and that you'll have a repeat, even. Best wishes for a Happy New Year of peace, happiness, and all good things for you and John - and of course, Josie.