Monday, February 14, 2022

An Embarrassment of Riches



A friend came to lunch and brought copies of the New York Review of Books and The London ditto. What fun! Paging through them kinda reminded me of back when I was first introduced to The Whole Earth Catalog--so much information out there and all within my reach!

Well, theoretically in my reach. There's no way I could read even a tiny percentage of all the books that look interesting to me. (Cuban ballet! Werewolves in the ancient world! A guide to the Florida Keys!' A history of humanity!)


I was pleased to find a review of Matrix which I talked about a few days ago. (The reviewer had a lot of nits to pick with the novel--things that didn't bother me when I read it.)


I must admit though that I really love reading the personals. Whether it's a slim (they're almost always slim) NYC f seeking a m social worker to share affection or a successful retired exec looking for someone to share his waterfront lifestyle or a pair of unrepentant queers (one pansexual Asian punk femme and one curly-haired nonbinary flaneur) seeking a third, my imagination is challenged. Are these people really slim? Really successful? 

Not to mention the international rentals. An apartment in an antique palazzo in Florence, a 17th century courtyard apartment in Paris's Marais district . . .

I'm not looking for a change in my situation, let me hasten to add. But it's fun to imagine other lives. 


 

3 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

I read a lot of reviews, but they too often point negatively to things I either loved or simply shrugged off. Reading reviews before the book is published sometimes causes perplexing problems in writing my own review comments.

JJM said...

Ah, the New York Review of Books! I have happy memories of the time I had a subscription to that Pusher of Books Supreme. Somewhere, I may still have the box in which I kept the index cards on which I'd scribble the author and title of each book reviewed in the NYRB that looked interesting. Every time I went to the public library, I'd grab a stack of those cards and check them against the catalogue, borrow the books they had, and sadly cross out the name/title when the book was not part of the library's holdings. Good old days. Now, with so many book pushers among my friends (yes, I'm looking at you, Vicki!), I know better than to resubscribe to the NYRB. So many books, so little time ...

I'm glad you used the word flâneur -- it has long been one of my favourite words, for both its meaning and its sound. In the Hague, the Netherlands, is a statue called "The Flaneur", in honour of journalist Edouard Elias who wrote columns under that nom de plume. The few times I made it back to the Netherlands, I always made it a point to say "Hello" to it.

https://bkdh.nl/en/kunstwerken/flaneur/

jennyfreckles said...

The Personal ads are a hoot usually. I wonder if anyone ever makes a good relationship that way (as opposed to the actual online dating websites). I often wonder how I'd describe myself...