Thursday, February 3, 2022

A Superlative Brownie--No, Really


Double chocolate brownie with lemon curd. This redefines brownie for me, lifting an ordinary kids' favorite into the stratosphere.

I had some leftover lemon curd from a pie I made f0r Justin and Claui's birthday dinner. (Pie crust with chocolate chips melted in it during last minutes of baking, filled with lemon curd, and topped with whipped cream--a family favorite.)

Lemon curd, or lemon cheese as the recipe (Southern Junior League Cookbook) below calls it, is easy to make.


As are these brownies. 


 I used the simple recipe I've used for almost fifty years and added a handful of chocolate chips because why not. I put half or a little more in the greased pan then spread that leftover lemon curd (you won't need the full recipe) on top, covered it with the rest of the brownie mixture and baked as usual.


This is incredibly rich and cries out for an accompaniment of black coffee. I'll be making this again.


 

8 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You had me but then lost me at black coffee. I need coffee creamy and beige.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sweet and rich...I've got the coffee ready! Come on over!

JJM said...

I'll bring a teapot to the feast, along with some nice Lady Grey tea, for the non-coffee people among us. Those brownies look well beyond scrumptious, hope you baked enough for the hordes about to descend upon you ... :-D

Marcia said...

Sounds delightful. Is lemon curd what goes in lemon meringue pie?

Vicki Lane said...

Marcia--probably not for most lemon meringue pies. It's not as fir as the lemon filling in a typical LMP.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. Have you ever tried lemon curd on warm gingerbread? It's very good. Also, many years ago Woolworth's lunch counter (telling my age now) served rice pudding (with raisins) topped with a generous amount of lemon curd and a dollop of whipped cream. Heavenly.

jennyfreckles said...

I haven't tasted lemon curd for years. My mouth is watering now!

Vicki Lane said...

When I was young, for a time my family would go to suppers at our church during Lent and warm gingerbread with lemon curd was often the dessert. Now I'm craving it!