Sunday, August 23, 2020

Selling Oneself


As I think I've said before, this is the part I hate--publicity. But needs must.

 I spent much of yesterday sending off emails to publications and libraries in the area, making them aware of my forthcoming novel -- pitching it to specific interests where possible. (Some of the action takes place in Greeneville, TN! Maryville, TN! Asheville! Civil War stuff! Strong women! Folk magic! The relevance of a divided country . . .)


You have to sell yourself, someone once told me. I know what they meant but unfortunately, the first thing that phrase brings to mind is prostitution. Hey, Library Director--looking for a good time  read? I'll talk dirty books online to anyone.

5 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

If we could just get on with our writing (or photography or painting or whatever) it would be lovely. Unfortunately all of these things have a tedious downside if we want it to be other than an intensely private endeavour. I guess many of us hate the 'pitching' and self exposure. But, as Josie would no doubt say: 'You can do it, Meema!'

Anvilcloud said...

I know. I wouldn't have ever hung or sold a photo had Sue not pushed ahead. And then I didn't want to sign them. When I did begin to sign, it was just faint initials at first. I still try to keep my sig on the muted side.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm a pretty "out there" kind of person. But the publicity of my own wares is still very difficult. I stood behind them at a market stall for many hours and days, but it still was easier to just have a few trite lines to say, rather than truly promoting myself. "We're a co-op of potters..." "What a nice shirt you have on..." Just making some connection, but not really talking about myself.

Sandra Parshall said...

This was always terribly difficult for me. I thought I was an awful, awkward speaker and did much better at library book groups where we discussed the book as a group -- until I went to one where a single man commanded the group that was otherwise all female and informed everyone that my book was incredibly boring. Women who had been talking about what they enjoyed fell silent because The Man had spoken. As a teacher, you will be much better than I was before groups, I know. Getting the book into libraries is your job right now.

katy gilmore said...

Sounds like you are crossing all the ‘t’ etc - and it is hard - but how exciting! Xo