Friday, August 14, 2020

.. . . and the Livin' is Easy


A.M.--pick corn, tomatoes, cukes, and zucchini. Shuck, sort, and wash.


This lunker is an Amish Paste tomato. The plant was passed on by Ginny Koranek and I am IMPRESSED.  I'll be saving seed for next year. 


The long skinny cucumbers will go into a marinated salad. The others will become bread and butter pickles.

Noon:the ideal lunch--a sandwich of fat slices of perfectly ripe Cherokee Purple tomato with homemade mayonnaise. Accompanied by iced tea, the house wine of the South. (Though I break with tradition by preferring it unsweetened.)




P.M. Blanch and freeze corn, roast cherry tomatoes, make a sauce with the other maters, save cukes for another day.


Eat dinner and count my blessings.






6 comments:

jennyfreckles said...

What a bounty! Worth all the hard work in the garden and in the kitchen, I am sure.

Anvilcloud said...

We have just had our first two corn on the cob dinners along with a salad with homegrown tomatoes (not ours) What a difference!

Barbara Rogers said...

You have bounty coming into your kitchen this year, and it looks delicious. I walk the aisles of super markets and choose foods from all over the globe and come home to put them together. Thai peanut sauce, or Hosein, or maybe Teriaki...on a rice grown who knows where. Enjoy the fruits of your land!

Sandra Parshall said...

I love tomato sandwiches with mayonnaise. Add pesto and provolone cheese to the tomato, though, and you have gourmet eating.

Elizabeth Potts said...

My mama only made unsweetened ice tea. I only drink it unsweetened no lemon either. The sweet stuff is just too sweet...and I am a suar-holic.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Oh my, but they all look so delicious!! Yummy!!!