Saturday, August 8, 2020

First Corn!


Some of the top tier of corn is beginning to mature, tassels drying to black. The tier below it was planted a couple of weeks later, a strategic decision to extend the blissful time of fresh corn. My first picking only yielded a grocery bag full, but I blanched the ears, cut off the kernels, and popped them in the freezer, saving out some whole ears to do on the grill to accompany dinner. 

So sweet! So good! And, if nothing don't happen (as Miss Birdie says,) there'll be lots more since I only picked about a fifth of the ripening ears.


Also on the agenda were tomatoes and cukes.  The cucumbers are doing great--sweet and crisp and prolific. The tomatoes, not so much. Deer or something have pruned all my plum tomatoes and bitten into many of the Big Boys and Cherokee Purples. But they've so far left the cherry tomatoes alone.

So I'm roasting cherry tomatoes in olive oil with a little salt and garlic granules then freezing them in half pint jars. They are great tossed with pasta or on a pizza--and they will make a delicious variation on a BLT come winter when good fresh tomatoes are only a memory.


9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Yum. Corn on the cob.

Vicki Lane said...

And it was Excellent!

NCmountainwoman said...

One of my favotite summer memories centered on corn. After picking, shucking, and freezing corn all day we were treated to dinner of corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes with cucumbers. Sometimes with fresh corn muffins.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've also been enjoying some fresh corn on the cob. How sweet it is! I roasted asparagus yesterday, with garlic and olive oil...this time with very little salt. I bought (yes, can't grow things like you do) some cherry tomatoes which have tough skins, so maybe roasting them will help them be palatable.

jennyfreckles said...

I imagine they taste much better fresh from the garden. We can buy whole corn cobs in the supermarket but it is a bit bland, especially the ready prepared ones that have the outer leaf thingys and the silk taken off.

Vicki Lane said...

Ooh, fresh corn muffins--that gives me an idea for Josie's breakfast on Monday. She adores muffins.

Sally B said...

First a question: how long to roast the cherry tomatoes. The ones we're growing are abundant, but tiny. And at what temp?
Also, I'm reminded of a commentary on the freshness of corn: "Honey, should I pick the corn yet?" "No honey, the water's not boiling yet."

Vicki Lane said...

An hour or more at 300 or several hours at 200. The ones on the outer edges cook faster so I stir them around part way through. I put Creole seasoning salt and garlic granules on mine. We had some on pasta last night along with shrimp and peppers and onions and garlic and sugar snap peas and zucchini.

Sally B said...

👍thanks