Friday, April 5, 2019

A Velocity of Being


This was a Christmas present from my in-laws (who also introduced my to Maria Popova's excellent online anthology Brain Pickings.) It's a collection of letters to young people on the value of reading, written by various authors ( Ursula LeGuin, Ann LaMott, Jane Goodall, Neil Gaiman, Susan Orlean, to name a very few) and beautifully illustrated by different artists (Charles Vess, Maira Kalman, and Roz Chast.) The letters range from profound and serious to funny and profound -- and they are so good that I've been rationing my consumption over the past months. 

One of my favorites was from Eve Ensler (The Vagina Monologues)

"Here's why I read," she says. "I got to travel the rainy dark streets of London,
The sultry bayous, the exploding cosmos 
 . . .
I felt unexpected things for pigs 
And spiders.
I stopped being lonely
I met myself everywhere
I got lost
I got found
I became other people
. . . 
I refuted the mean voices in my head
I found my own."








2 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah, such joy reading gives us. So thankful for 1) glasses and optomitrists 2) writers with such great imagination and 3) publishers who make the materials avaiable for us, oh and 3) libraries whereby we ALL can read so much without purchasing each book. Happy day to you Vicki!

katy gilmore said...

I love this - and photo of Josie proving the words!