Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tarragon Vinegar


The tarragon (far left atop the wall) was sprawling all over the place.

So I pruned it and jammed the branches into a gallon jar. I filled the jar with cider vinegar,
 and set it in the sun.  (If it had been rainy, I could have heated the vinegar a bit before putting it in the jar.).

After a few days, I strained the infused vinegar and poured it into bottles, in which I'd put a few peeled garlic cloves and a bit of fresh-picked tarragon for looks.

Tarragon vinegar is nice in a vinaigrette and works well in potato salad.

I plan to use it to make vinegar cheese. Check out the process HERE.
 
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Ms. A said...

Dang, woman, you do it all!

R. Burnett Baker said...

I've never had vinegar cheese. I like vinegar. I love cheese. Where on earth can I find vinegar cheese??

Martin said...

I'm afraid, whenever I hear the word 'tarragon', our FB epic springs to mind. "Where's tara gone?" indeed.

Unknown said...

How clever you are!

Vicki Lane said...

Rick, there's a hot link in the post now, to another post on making vinegar cheese -- super easy.

Oh, Martin, wasn't that an epic pun-fest!

Kath said...

oh. Thank you.

Jean Baardsen said...

Love the last picture. I'd make it just to put the bottles on a windowsill and gaze at them! Where do you get the bottles? My husband was guessing they were whiskey bottles. So I said I could buy some whiskey, pour it out, and use the bottles! (I don't drink.) Sometimes I find interesting bottles at thrift shops. Just wondering....

Brian Miller said...

nice...very cool...i like how you use nature to make this...not just with the taragon but allowing the sun to do the work as well...

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Adore tarragon. It's one of my favorite herbs. We love it in French potato salad.
Sam

Deanna said...

What a great idea. I need to grow tarragon again.

Vagabonde said...

You can grow tarragon? We tried to put some in a pot last year but it died. I use tarragon vinegar almost daily to make my vinaigrette. Did I tell you that while we were in New York some animal came and ate all our impatiens in the back yard – we had at least 8 or 10 supersized pots (I have shown them on my blog before) – all gone. Wonder what type of animal would eat everything – I mean everything - just the dirt is left?

Vicki Lane said...

I've had tarragon die in cold winters but my current plant has been around for 3 or 4 years. I haven't had luck growing it in a pot.

And yes, those are whiskey bottles. My husband is a fan of single-malt Scotch and does his part to provide me with nice bottles.