Monday, September 2, 2024

Forest Bathing

                                                       


After more than a week of temperatures hitting the low nineties and no rain, yesterday's cooler temps and soaking rain washed over us like a blessing as we sat on the porch. The smell of rain on the dry earth, the patter of drops on the metal roof, the damp coolness on our skin, along with the always entrancing view of mist rising amid the wooded hills brings a feeling of deep contentment.

I'd heard about 'forest bathing' as a type of therapy. (Go HERE for a piece from NPR,) and realized that we are fortunate to be able to take advantage of a version of this every day--whether from the porch or among the trees on the mountain behind the house, or just sitting on the bench in our entryway and feeling the embrace of the Kousa dogwood.


Back in the nursing home/rehab center seven years ago, back when an accident broke my ankle and dislocated my shoulder, I was so thankful to be in a bed near a window. Of course, the primary view was brick walls and a concrete floored smoking area but above this, ah! I could see some sky and treetops. I'm pretty sure this sight kept me from biting anyone.

I am so spoiled by where we live--with trees all around and a good long view. 

And now rain! Life is good.


                                                                             



                                                                                  



5 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Love the term forest bathing. It says the feeling I get, being awash in the air - the moist leaves, wet bark, still air that feels like I could wring out some water if I figured out how! And your feeling of the moisture on my skin, yes indeed.

Sandra Parshall said...

Heavenly.

Marcia said...

I have heard of that too and with your rain you literally were bathing in the forest around you.

jennyfreckles said...

Your photos often have me feeling like I'm virtually 'forest bathing' - and today I went for a proper woodland walk. All green and moist, lovely.

Anvilcloud said...

No! It can't have been seven years ago!