Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wanderlust

There are so very many places in the world that I'd like to see -- but see as a resident, not as a tourist passing through. It doesn't seem likely that I'll accomplish this -- after all, there's a garden to tend and a a life to be lived here at the farm. Not to mention more books to write.

Plus, real life travel can be expensive and sometimes uncomfortable. So, while I wait to hear back from Herself about Miss Birdie, I'm enjoying a little virtual voyaging, visiting blogs in other lands -- you may have noticed some recent additions.





Somerset Seasons/Dorset Days

This one's from Leanne in England who seems to share many of my own preoccupations - gardening, chickens, old books, nature and her seasons. . .







Miss_Yves' Photograff is from France -- in French. I can read a bit of it--a very little bit -- but it's mostly photos -- and there's music. If you're checking it out at work, you might want to hit MUTE first.






In the Netherlands Reader Wil
shares pictures from her travels as well as her beautiful homeland.







There are a surprising three blogs from Africa:

The Egypt Experience is from Robyn, a South African who teaches English in Egypt. . .

Millet Love is the infrequent but fascinating journal of Nora, an American med student working in Mali . . .

and Thatchwick Cottage-- Eleanor's lovely words and pictures from South Africa.



Who knows where my travels will lead me next?


Is someone blogging in Mongolia?

8 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I too have wanderlust. I really like the picture of the hot air balloon. Have you ever taken a ride in one? We would love to sometime. We had a friend in the islands who owned a company that did the Remax balloons but of course he couldn't bring one out there. It's still on our list of things to do.
Sam

Vicki Lane said...

Nop, never been in a hot air balloon. There used to be (and may still be) a company in Asheville that did balloon rides that sounded quite posh -- champagne and such along with the ride and I remember on occasion seeing the beautiful bright balloons drifting along. But the one time I looked into it, the price was beyond our budget.

Your blog is one of the places I visit for wanderlust -- your postings about France are Wonderful!

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Vicki, I want to go back toBudapest and rent a flat, live there for at least a month, maybe more. Travel around with Budpest as the central location. I'd gain a hundred pounds, of course, from all that good Hungarian food and drink, but I'd like to risk it!

Vicki Lane said...

Well, when you do, you'll have to blog from there and take us all along!

Reader Wil said...

Thank you so much to show your virtual journeys.It felt as if I was going with you on this trip. Thanks for your visit! Have a great week.

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

You know - I'm usually the world's best "nester." But I've been feeling some wanderlust tugs lately myself. Wonder if it's 'cause I'm sick to DEATH of winter??

I have not traveled a great deal, but before I go to places I haven't been yet, I'd really love to go back to Greece. And like Kay, spend at least a month. Tucked into a nice little place I could call "home" for the entire stay. But in the meantime, I'll be happy for a week at the beach!

Robyn Kadis said...

HI Vicki, Wanderlust has been in my family for many a decade. My father has been a sufferer of this thing called "Itchy Feet" causing my parents to move many times in the 45 years they have been married. I inherited this condition and while my parents moved around South Africa, I have moved to foreign lands a number of times in my life and thus am in Egypt at the moment. I long for the day when I have seen all there is to see in this wonderful world of ours but I doubt that will ever happen. So, the chances of me settling in one place for a long time seems far out of reach.

PS Thanks so much for the choosing me for your Quilt book, I look forward to receiving it with much anticipation.

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks for stopping by, Wil and Kaye! One thing about living in Europe, one can travel fairly easily to many other places but for Kaye and me, leaving the North Carolina mountains means a long way to go to get much of anywhere. For me to get to the nearest foreign country (Canada or Mexico) means several days travel time by car.

Not complaining -- just saying.

Robyn -- I'm excited at the thought of folks in Egypt being introduced to quilting via my book!

And there will still be a drawing for a Community Quilts book at the end of the month for those of you who've asked to be included.