Monday, June 2, 2008

The Ultimate Accolade




When I spoke at the local library Saturday night, I was delighted to find that my audience included quite a few folks who are native to the county. As a 'newcomer,' I'm always a little worried that someone backed with the authority of generations in this corner of the world will say, "What do you think you're doing, writing about our county, you Florida person, you?" (Florida people being not unlike kudzu and Canada geese in their growing numbers in this area.)

So far it hasn't happened. I've been told I 'got it right' -- from the dialect to the customs to the food and the descriptions. And Saturday night I received the very best compliment I could wish for. A lady who described herself the eighth generation of her family in the county, told me how much she enjoyed reading my descriptions of places and people familiar to her.

And then she smiled at me and said, "We're glad you moved here."

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Vicki - You've lived there since 1975 and you still consider yourself a "newcomer"? You'll be an "old-timer" to me! Congrats on the early accolades for your latest book - I'll be ordering my copy from Amazon.com - especially since the photo you posted of that old house near the Barnard Bridge. I am intrigued. Take care - enjoying your blog immensely. -Liz

Vicki Lane said...

I'll always be a newcomer -- as will my sons. It takes a few generations,

So glad you're enjoying the blog!

Vicki Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat in east TN said...

What a wonderful compliment for you Vicki ... not often said from natives in either NC or TN. Yes, even after 30 years in NC we were still considered 'newcomers', and here in TN, after 5+ years, it's the same. Oh well, we tread lightly and just do our thing and can see where being watched, but there is always a smile on their faces and no one has refused our friendship, so guess we're doing ok.

Anonymous said...

It is a huge compliment to be accepted into the Southern Society. When I lived in NC I always felt nothing but warmth from most of the mountain folks. Very kind!

Vicki Lane said...

I think that the treading lightly Pat mentioned is the key. I never want to be one of the folks targeted in the bumper stickers that say "We don't care HOW they did things where you come from."

And like Rachael, I've known nothing but kindness from the mountain folks.

Anonymous said...

Vicki - I received your book the day before going to the beach with family (Fay- our common denominator). I tried for days to make time to read. I know that once I begin reading I won't put it down until I'm done. I read 3/4 of it today and finished it. Taking time to change the laundry and feed the kids. It's your best yet. I can't wait until the next one comes out. Congratulations on your latest success.

Shelle

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks, Shelle. So glad you're enjoying it!