Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Hot One

When sunrise looks like this in summertime, we know we're in for a hot day.

Just at first though, it's lovely -- the air cool on my skin as I go out to fill the birdfeeder, the fragrance of roses and honeysuckle wafting over the dew-wet grass, birds calling, including one who says over and over, "Sweet! Sweet! Sweet!" A new hatched butterfly (a Spangled Fritillary maybe?) clings to one of the French doors, beating his wings to dry them.



As I'm watering some recently planted flowers above the rock wall behind our house, a huge black snake lunges out of hiding, coming toward me at approximately the speed of light. My gargling shriek of surprise unsettles both of us but then I grab my camera and spend a little time following him. He must have just shed his skin and is gorgeous -- shiny as polished obsidian. The pictures are on the web album below so those of you who don't share my appreciation for creepy, crawly things don't have to see them. (That would be you, Ann C. -- I know I'm testing your patience even with the butterfly)


http://picasaweb.google.com/vickilanemysteries/SnakeAlert
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Susan M. Bell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan M. Bell said...

Great photos of the black snake. When I took some one at the writers' retreat, I started wondering what he thought about the whole thing...some pesky human hanging around taking pictures. I'm sure they all think we're crazy as heck.

Susan M. Bell said...

Boy, you could tell I was half asleep last night. Rereading my post...I actually left words out. I reckon you know what I was saying.

Vicki Lane said...

I spent about thirty minutes following this poor snake and it really did seem to be wishing I would get a life and leave it alone.

Tammy said...

My Dad was always picking up snakes and looking at them and letting them crawl all over him. So from an early age we were all pretty much 'snake-proofed' and enjoyed touching them and having them wind themeselves around our arms. As I got older and out into the 'real' world, I found out that isn't how most people respond to snakes! ;-) I've actually managed to convince my snake-hatin', snake hatin' co-worker to let some snakes live (a big accomplishment!). Your post was refreshing to see your enjoyment of the creature (after your first mutual shock)and the pictures. I don't have too many snakes around my place anymore--too many cats, dogs and sheepies, I guess.
Tammy (p.s. It's gonna be a hot one here too)

Pat in east TN said...

Over the years I have gotten more used to snakes too, but I just wish they didn't use 'the shock factor' when introducing themselves to me!!! LOL Like why on earth can't they stomp their feet or something prior to their entrance?!?! ... sorry, that's just a long standing family joke I couldn't resist sharing.

Hot, hot, hot here today!!!

Vicki Lane said...

Re snakes, my sister-in-law Fay just sent me this link -- anyone with snake phobia probably shouldn't follow it.

http://www.ahstuff.com/2008/06/catching-anaconda.html